March 27, 2023

Mystery of the Haunted Hut, by Mary Graham Bonner

I'm finally getting caught up on the books that I've read since January 1, 2023.  In fact, this post wraps up all of the titles that I've completed thus far within the calendar year.  After this review, I will be posting in real(ish)-time, starting with the two books that I'm presently reading.  Anyway, I'm only launching into this entirely unnecessary exposition to tell you that I have read a lot over the past three months.  And this is one of the more forgettable ones.


Originally published in 1950, Mystery of the Haunted Hut by Mary Graham Bonner is very much of its time.  Free-range, cow's milk-drinking children get into precarious situations, solving mysteries -and crimes- in this "chapter book" full of mid-century nostalgia.  Featuring a trio of siblings whose guardians never know where they are except at mealtimes when they force feed them entirely too much meat and lard, Mystery of the Haunted Hut is somewhat reminiscent of the more successful Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys series.  Kids who -like me- grew up reading The Boxcar Children will readily recognize the wholesome adventures punctuated by the childish ingenuity of its protagonists.  Adults of the present will mostly find themselves concerned with how the fuck these kids don't have scurvy with all those animal by-products and nary a fruit or vegetable in sight.

While Mary Graham Bonner's novel is certainly contrived in both dialogue and intrigue, I did sincerely appreciate the simplicity in the plotline and denouement of the story.  Of course, one might expect this in a mystery novel of only 156 pages that is expressly written for children, but to thoughtlessly make that assumption strikes me as too dismissive.  Younger readers would likely benefit from a mystery that isn't overly complex.  Regardless of age, I like to think that we can all value a story that doesn't require deep analysis.  Sometimes, it's just nice to read something for fun, right?  Not every book has to be a manifesto on social justice or political reform; a book can simply be a diversion from life.  Hell, any language major could tell you that "brainless" books can provide a much needed respite from other books with meanings that need to be decoded.  

Friends, I can confidently say that Mystery of the Haunted Hut is not meritorious of a deeper dive.  It was fun while it lasted, but I can assure you that it won't stick with me beyond the final punctuation of this post.  If that's your kind of read (or if you just need a break from life for a couple of hours), then sure.  I guess.  I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is not a book that I would seek out, per se; it just happened to cross my path and I thought, why not?  If you have a young reader who enjoys mystery novels, it meets that criteria.  Plus, there is a cute fox in it and a sweet old dog who pops in from time to time.  

Otherwise, meh.