May 4, 2023

Spider-Man: Spider-Verse -- Spider-Men, Various Writers/Artists

[SHORTY POST]

Every once in awhile, my kids bring home those Scholastic Book catalogs from school.  You remember, the ones we used to get as kids?  Anyway, we are pretty big Spider-Man fans in our house, so I ordered a set of Marvel comics, which included this collection of a few random editions of Spider-Man publications:


Spider-Man: Spider-Verse -- Spider-Men, includes the following five random and (mostly) unrelated editions:

  • Spider-Men #4-5, Writer Brian Michael Bendis
  • Edge of Spider-Verse #1, Writers David Hine with Fabrice Sapolsky
  • Edge of Spider-Verse #5, Writer Gerard Way
  • Spider-Ham 25th Anniversary Special #1, Writer Tom DeFalco
What I didn't realize when I got this gift set was that this particular comic was for older kids.  Oops.  My bad.  A couple of the above titles contain some violent images that bothered my daughter so I decided to do what I probably should have done initially, and read it myself.  I haven't read a lot of comic books and graphic novels in my life, but certainly a few.  I do enjoy them as quicker reads and the way that you can find yourself quite lost in them.  

Of these five, I most enjoyed Spider-Men #4-5 (featuring all of the mainstream Spider-Man characters:  Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacy, Aunt May, Mysterio, along with Nick Fury, Thor, Tony Stark, Hawkeye) and Spider-Ham (featuring Peter Porker, Aunt May, Mary Crane, J.Jonah Jackal, and the Swinester Six: Dr. Octopussy, Mysteriape, Eelectro, Green Gobbler, Sandmanatee, and The Buzzard).  

Edge of Spider-Verse #1 (featuring 1939 journalist Peter Parker) was so-so and I was just plain bored by Edge of Spider-Verse #5 (Peni Parker and the SP//DR suit).

Final word: I'm not about to go hit up a comic book shop because, while I do enjoy a good superhero read, I'm more intrigued by other forms of literature.  However, if one happens to land in my lap, you know I'll read it.  In fact, I may go raid some more of the kids' comic books.  You know, for research.