May 15, 2024

At the Same Time, Eris

Several months ago, I shared a poem called Chernobyl Kids by writer Eris.  I came across another one of her works today that brings me great pleasure and validation as an elder Millennial, rapidly approaching middle age.  At the Same Time is an ode to those of us who, while aging, are still not quite old enough to accept it.  Any woman (or man) above 35 can probably relate to some degree.


AT THE SAME TIME

Dermatitis, greying hair,
Folliculitis in my underwear.

Eczema and skin that flaps,
Stretch marks that look like road maps.

Skin tags on my neck and pits,
Sagging tits, Christ! I can’t shit!

Hemorrhoids I have enjoyed,
All because I could not void.

PEEK-A-BOO!  Who’s come to call?
What fun!  My bladder starts to fall!

Is that my uterus I see?
Ah-ah-AAACHOO!  Oops, I just peed.

Scoliosis,
Halitosis,
Hashtag osteoporosis.

Hair that grows in weird new places,
How ‘bout this ol’ diastasis?

I guess my body’s getting old;
Now my joints ache in the cold.

Nah, JK, false alarm!
Hot flashes warm me like a charm.

Old piercings that now get infected,
Hold up!  My youth is resurrected:

Acne,
Backne,
These comedones attack me!

It should come as no surprise
That all these years, I’ve been fed lies.

No line exists ‘tween “young” and “old”;
And now, my dear, let truth be told:

Zits and fine lines
Come at the same time.