September 16, 2024

Graphic Novels for Kids: a 3-for-1 post!

 My son loves comic books and graphic novels.  In fact, he asks me to pick up new ones for him every time I go to the library (a couple times each month).  He doesn't really care what they're about, as long as "you think I'll like them".



Earlier this summer, I picked up three graphic novels I thought he'd enjoy...mainly because I thought that I would enjoy them.  And I did.  So, one at a time, and without further ado...

The Tea Dragon Festival, by K. O'Neill


I saw this book and was immediately in love with the illustrations.  The landscapes and use of color were so beautiful to me, and the little critters (called "tea dragons" -- look around the girl's feet) were cute AF.  I love tea.  I love critters.  I love this type of illustration.  Naturally, I needed to read this book.  

Touted as "a lovely, gentle fantasy" (Kirkus), it sounded like a calming, delightful sort of read that would be even more delightfully accompanied by the previously described images.  While it did deliver in both of these categories, I must confess, I was caught off guard by the whole notion of how "inclusive" it is.  Friends, it's woke.  

Maybe that's your thing.  Maybe it isn't.  It honestly annoyed me more than anything because I don't like pushing agendas of any kind on children, who are clearly this book's target audience.  While yes, the notion of gender fluidity did come up, it was mostly just in passing, and could be easily missed.  It was indeed forced and contrived (things that piss me off about writing in general), but it wasn't the primary theme of the story.  I cannot comment on how present these themes are in the other Tea Dragon books as I have not read those.  Unfortunately, I will not be likely to do so, due to the clear motives behind graphic novelist K. O'Neill.  Bummer.  I like tea, but this just isn't my cup of it.

Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt (A Narwhal and Jelly Book, #2), by Ben Clanton


I love narwhals.  Maybe I don't say it enough but, from the moment I learned that they were real, actual creatures (!), I was smitten.  There is nothing I love more unda da sea.

Narwhal and Jelly books do not need to be read in order, so it was no problem that this was the first one that I picked up.  Unlike the previously discussed Tea Dragon books, Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt pushes no agenda beyond having fun with your friends, using your imagination, and including others when you play.  In terms of inclusion, I personally believe this needs to be where we shift our focus when communicating these values to kids.  Regardless of your beliefs, I think we can all get on board with Narwhal and Jelly.

Wizkit: An Adventure Overdue, by Tanya J. Scott


A one-eyed cat who is learning to become a wizard?  YES PLEASE!!!! 

Wizkit, a lazy, bread-loving student of wizardry overhears sobbing in her house.  When she and her teacher discover an overdue library book that wants to be returned home, Wizkit and the book are sent on an adventure back to the library.  Along the way, they use their imaginations to fill the book's blank pages, solve problems they encounter, and meet new friends.  Wizkit learns the power of books, using your mind, and getting off your butt to create your own fun -- lessons we can all stand to learn!


Three new graphic novels for the kiddos.  No Pulitzer prizes here, just fun: plain and simple!